In 1866, two years after the death of our founder John Hoever, five Brothers were sent from Aachen to the United States to assist with the ministry of aiding German immigrants in Teutopolis, Illinois. This ministry lasted two years. In 1868 Archbishop Purcell, a friend of Blessed Frances Schervier, invited the Brothers to come to Cincinnati, Ohio to establish an orphanage in his diocese. It was named Mount Alverno and was in full operation from 1870 to 1972. In 1921 Bishop John Morris of Little Rock, Arkansas invited the Brothers to his diocese to establish a boarding school for boys. These two educational ministries occupied the time and the energies of the Brothers until the year 1958 when the provincial administration decided to expand our educational ministries to parish schools in New Jersey, Ohio and Texas. In addition to the educational ministries the Brothers also established group homes for boys in Iowa, participated with our Sisters of the Poor in their retirement homes in Ohio, and served as educators in the prison ministry.
The twenty-first century has presented a different challenge for an aging community - retirement. Many beautiful memories of past ministries - education, social work, AIDS, prison ministry, care for the elderly, group homes - fill the minds and hearts of the Brothers. However, the primary focus of their energies is devoted to the interior and exterior life of prayer and volunteer ministries. How beautifully retirement facilitates these endeavors. There is no more exalted vocation then the call to prayer which fulfills the dream of our founder to be instruments of His Kingdom when, where, and how He chooses.
More and detailed information about our history in the United States and some testimonials of the Brothers can be found at USA History of Ministry